- A letter. What a nice relief from bills and junk mail to get a genuine unexpected written letter from someone. It’s a rare thing nowadays. Usually people use greeting cards and with any luck write a personal message in them. I like reading what they have to say, rather than the poem that Hallmark stamped on it.
- Freshly cut grass. Don’t even say it! I’m talking about the kind that grow on soil people! You know, like a front lawn. I’ve been running into that scent more and more lately with the warmer weather. I don’t know why, but I love that smell. Maybe unconsciously it signals to me spring and new life and all that. I don’t know. Fortunately I don’t go into a sneezing fit like some people when they get a whiff of it.
- A refreshingly cold drink on a hot day. I’m not talking about a lukewarm or semi-cold drink – I’m talking about a cold drink! One that was cold coming out of the fridge and even colder once you poured it over some ice. You gulp it down in a few mouthfuls. The ice doesn’t even have a chance to melt. Very soothing!
4. Having a quiet moment with wildlife. A few weeks ago I went outside and out in the yard was a little brown bunny rabbit. This is what’s considered wildlife in my town. It was the first time I ever saw a rabbit in the yard. I’ll occasionally see sightings of possums, skunks and raccoons who immediately dart away once I show up. Anyway, I sat down and he didn’t panic and run away immediately. So I just hung out watching the rabbit for a few minutes. The whole thing sort of reminded me of the deer scene from Stand By Me
. If you don’t know what I’m talking about – rent it. Finally, he jetted off to wherever. It was pretty cool. Hopefully he made it across the street ok.
- A brand new pair of socks. Didn’t Charlie Brown say that? Now, that’s a philosopher you can trust. Seriously, what’s better than new socks? You get that soothing sensation once you slip those on and it’s invigorating. Instinctively I always flex my toes in them.
Please follow, like & share: